It started at the foot of the staircase leading up to the second floor. A neighbor noticed the fire growing on 54 Cannon Street’s porch through the blinds on his window and ran out in his bare feet to help out.
Allison Hammons, senior at the College and downstairs resident, was awakened by a pounding at her door. She then woke up her roommate and ran out with their dog. While this was occurring, her neighbor had already emptied the fire extinguisher he had been trying to use, but by this time, the fire had already begun to spread up the porch and onto the second floor.