Fall is upon us. The air is getting crisper and colder. Our wardrobes are getting heavier. We’re trading in fabulous sandals for cozy socks and boots. We’re gearing up for the weather we’ve been waiting so patiently for.
With our outfit changes, we must not overlook something else that’s changing with the weather— our hair and makeup. We’re trading out our beachy waves for comfortable and easy to-do braids, up-dos, buns and simplistic curls, and leaving behind our subdued summer makeup for more classic and elegant looks, like cat eyed liner and bold smoky eyes.
But why do we do this? We trade out our subdued natural makeup looks and fun beachy waves for makeup that takes a little more work, but hair that really doesn’t. Is it because of the weather? Are we getting lazy with our hair as our midterms and semester unfolds or are we just able to do more with the cooler weather? I say it’s the latter. With the weather changing to milder and cooler temperatures we are able to do so much more with our hair and makeup. We’re able to explore new options that the summer months would not have allowed.
So let’s explore.
- Fall hair is whimsical and simple, yet disheveled and classy. Big messy buns formed by scrunching sections of your hair into a giant knot are a staple, as well as clean and precise ballerina or sock buns.
- Curls are also a staple during this season. Long hair curled with a 1.5” or 2” curling iron or rod creates the whimsical, loose curls, which bring the essence of fall. For shorter hair, a slightly smaller barreled curling iron can suffice to create a similar look.
- For fall up-dos, one can loosely curl their hair and pin it in a low bun at the nape of their neck. Pair it with an embellished headband and it’s the ideal classic fall look. The same can be done with short hair in a faux up-do by pinning hair towards the nape of the neck and not necessarily in a bun.
- Braids are also a staple during this season. French, fishtail and classic braids are all perfect for fall, especially when paired with a warm scarf and cozy sweater.
- Fall makeup is classic and timeless. Pairing rich shades of chocolate, charcoal, plum or emerald can create an elegant smoky eye – which is the epitome of fall. Another fall staple is the cat eyeliner or winged eyeliner in a rich black, with volumizing mascara.
Exploring your options for hair and makeup is exactly what fall is about, and with the hot temperatures out of the way— why not?