On April 3, Lancaster Mayor John Howard died at age 67 while seeking lung cancer treatment at the Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Who was John Howard?
- Howard began his political career in 1982, setting aside his insurance salesman career to fill in for a city council member’s unexpired term, gaining the most votes in the midterm election.
- Howard was elected mayor two years ago after the death of former mayor Joe Shaw.
- Before taking up the mayoral office; however, Howard served for 33 years in the Lancaster City Council representing District Five.
- His total 35 years of public service made Howard the longest-serving elected official in Lancaster County.
- Howard was diagnosed with lung cancer four months ago, and was seeking treatment before his death
What happens next?
- Howard’s wife, two children and five grandchildren survive him.
- The special election to determine the next mayor will be held on July 10.
- Mayor Pro Temper Tamara Green Garris serves in the interim.